This commercial building, the first of its kind to obtain LEED Platinum certification in Canada, distinguishes itself in several ways. It aims to act as a showcase of energy-efficiency applied to buildings.
Here are some of the innovative products and systems used in this building:
1. Wall insulation that reaches R-30 to R-32; as well as triple-glazed windows with low emissivity and meticulously insulated frames;
2. Geothermal system that is responsible for 80% of the heating and 100% of the air conditioning;
3. System of shutters that recovers 90% of the heat from the ventilation system;
4. A green roof covering 8,000 sq. ft. which does not require any maintenance, to reduce the urban heat-island effect;
5. Experimental concrete floor slabs incorporating pulverized fly ash, and in some areas, recycled glass powder;
6. Use of several recycled materials.